New at CG Boost Academy
Substance Painter Launch Pad
Welcome to the 12th CG Boost Challenge with the topic “Space Carrier”!
This art challenge is for all 3d artists wanting to improve their skills and get the chance to win great prizes!
The main goal of this challenge is to improve your skills, have fun and create a 3d render for your portfolio. Besides that, you have the chance to increase your online exposure and win great prizes provided by some of the best companies in the 3d industry.
In the spirit of growing together, you can join our Facebook community of aspiring artists, ask for or give feedback to help each other improve.
Before you get started, don’t forget to read the rules carefully. Check the FAQ section if you have any questions or leave a comment below.
The challenge ends on Wednesday, February 26th, 2020 at 16:00 CET! The winners will be announced one week later on March 4th, 2020.
Good luck everyone!
~Zach and the CG Boost team
The topic for this challenge is “Space Carrier”.
Space carrier – Who else has gone where no man has gone before than the daring pilot of a space carrier? His ship may be a shabby ball of rust, but trustworthy as ever he delivers whatever you want: Mail, garbage, other ships or any type of goods you can imagine. Just think of all the fantastic adventures this carrier might have been through in the cold realms of outer space! Surprise us with your own interpretation of a space carrier or its adventures! Will your design be as iconic as the Millenium Falcon?
Please make sure to read and follow these rules carefully, to ensure that your final entry is eligible for the judging process. Also, check the FAQ section below for further clarification.
- Your entry must relate to the challenge’s theme (we encourage you to be very creative with that)
- You can only submit one work
- Your entry must be a new and original creation specifically made for the challenge (no existing projects)
- Your entry must be create by only one person (no group)
- Your entry must be a 3d rendered image (no animations or Sketchfab models)
- You can use any 3d tools (even Game Engines), renderers, add-ons and techniques of your choice
- You can use any visual render style of your choise (like photorealism, NPR, low poly etc.)
- Minimal use of third party assets is allowed, as long as they don’t take up more than ~20% of screen space of your image and are not the main focus of your scene (third party textures and materials are not included in this rule and can be used as much as you like)
- 2d or concept art is not allowed (but can be used to plan your 3d scene)
- No fanart allowed
- Enhancing your rendering in post is allowed – That includes things like color adjustments, compositing render layers/passes and adding effects like smoke, fire, particles etc. Extending your scene with a sky background is allowed too. Other than that, adding photographic elements (like cut out characters or vegetation) or doing paintovers or photobashing is not allowed.
- Imagery & depictions of hate, racism, sexism or other discriminatory factors will additionally be judged based on their context & visual narrative. If the entry is clearly promoting or idealizing a harmful agenda then it will be disqualified.
- You must submit you work before the deadline is over (we won’t accept entries after the deadline!)
- NEW! If someone has won two times in a row (no matter if placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd), this person can’t win the following two challenges. The person still can participate and win an honorable mention.
Before submitting your entry, make sure that it meets all the following deliverables:
- You have to submit one (1) final render
- The final work must be submitted as an image
- Your render should have 1920 pixel on longest edge (landscape format should have 1920 pixels width, portrait format should have 1920 pixels height – any aspect ratio is fine)
- Image size should not exceed 2 MB and should be in *.jpg format
- You can add a small watermark if you like (it has to be small, grayscale, slightly transparent and placed in the bottom left or right corner of the image)
- 3D models laid on wallpapers are not allowed
- You have to submit a clay render (render without materials and textures) of your scene along with your final submission
We judge the entries according to these three criteria:
- Visual Appeal
It’s not required to meet all three judging criteria in order to win. You can have great visuals and technical skills without a story or great storytelling with lacking visuals. However, the better you meet all criteria, the bigger your chance to win.
Click here to see the judges.
- Create a new 3d rendered image, based on the challenge’s topic
- Make sure that your image meets the demands (read more above)
- Use this submission form to submit your entry before the deadline is over – The challenge ends on Wednesday, February 26th, 2020 at 16:00 CET
- Your entry will be published here on the challenge page once it is accepted (it can take up to 24 hrs until your submission will appear on the challenge page)
- If there is any problem with your entry, we will get back to you
- We will announce the winners on Wednesday, March 4th, 2020
- If you don’t want to miss who has won, sign up to our mailing list here.
We will pick three winners and two honorable mentions for this challenge, which will receive prizes. The prizes will be distributed like this:
- The 1st winner can choose 8 prizes from the list below
- The 2nd winner can choose 7 of the remaining prizes
- The 3rd winner can choose 7 of the remaining prizes
- Each honorable mention can choose 2 of the remaining prizes.
- Everyone that submits a final rendering for this challenge, gets the chance to win one of three copies of the CG Boost Blender 2.8 Launch Pad course and the Substance Painter Launch pad course.
Click here to see all prizes.
Where do I ask questions about the challenge?
Ask them in the comment section below.
Can I submit multiple submissions for a challenge?
No. You can only submit one (1) submission per challenge.
Can I submit an artwork I started before the challenge?
No. Your entry must be a new creation specially made for the challenge.
Can I create fanart or use a concept art of another artist?
No. Your entry must be an original creation created by you. We can’t accept copyrighted or patented content for legal reasons. Designers of fashion, games, movies and other media do protect their brand and people who breach these rules will be disqualified. Homage or recognizable styles fall outside these rules, but do linger in a gray area. Keep this in mind when designing your entry.
Can a team participate in the challenge?
No. This challenge is for individuals only.
Can I use photographic elements, photobashing or paintovers techniques?
No, but you are allowed to enhance your image with color and brightness adjustments or adding effects like smoke, fire, particles etc.
Can I use third party assets?
Yes, but in a way to support your scene. The external assets can’t be the main focus of your scene and take up more than ~20% screen space of your image. Third party textures and materials are not included in this rule and can be used as much as you like.
Can I update my submission during the challenge if I notice a mistake?
Yes, just re-submit your work, and we will replace it. Please add a quick note on what you have changed. The only condition – you cannot change the idea of the work, or modify it drastically. Only reasonable changes are allowed.
Can I share my artwork online before the challenge is over?
Yes, it is your artwork, you can do whatever you want.
When I win the challenge, can I get cash instead of the prizes?
No, this is not possible.
Never miss a challenge again!
Sign up and keep up-to-date with our challenges.
These prizes are provided by our awesome sponsors
Read above how these prizes will be distributed
Friendly Shade Bundles
Cycles Material Vault
The Grove 3D
Mastering Sculpting Course
Master Car Creation Course
Hard Surface Modeling Course
Space VFX Elements Course
KIT OPS PRO Add-on
Get the chance to win a prize without winning the challenge
We raffle 3 copies of our Blender 2.8 Launch Pad course and 3 copies of our Substance Painter Launch Pad course,
under all people that submit a final rendering.
Blender Launch Pad
Substance Painter Launch Pad
Get some free extra render credits and render your Blender scene on Rays Render Farm.
Rays Render Service offers $40 free render credits for all participants of the CG Boost Challenge. Sign up and use the coupon code CGBOOST19.
Rays Render Service
Join our Community of Aspiring CG Artists
Our Facebook community is an awesome place to give and receive feedback and help from other artists.
Join our CG Boost Google Calendar
Add our CG Boost Challenge calendar to your own calendar app and never miss a challenge again.