Welcome to the third CG Boost Challenge with the topic “Fantastic Greenhouse”!
This art challenge is for all 3d artists wanting to improve their skills and get the chance to win prizes worth ~$3,920!
This is our third challenge at CG Boost, however, we have quite some years of experience in running digital art challenges. 2015, we initiated the SculptJanuary event, which is still running today and shortly after that, we established the Weekly CG Challenge, which eventually became the CG Boost challenge after 143 challenges!
This challenge is for 3D artists only. The main goal is to improve your skills and create a 3d render for your portfolio. Besides that, you have the chance to increase your online exposure and win great prizes worth ~$3,920 provided by some of the best companies in the 3d industry.
In the spirit of growing together, you can join our Facebook community of aspiring artists, ask for or give feedback to help each other improve.
Before you get started, don’t forget to read the rules carefully. Check the FAQ section if you have any questions or leave a comment below.
The challenge ends on Wednesday May 22nd, 2019 at 23:59 CET! The winners will be announced one week later on May 29th, 2019.
Good luck everyone!
~Zach and the CG Boost team
Rule update: We clarified the rule regarding paintovers, photobashing and using photographic elements. This is the new rule:
Enhancing your rendering in post is allowed – That includes things like color adjustments, compositing render layers/passes and adding effects like smoke, fire, particles etc. Extending your scene with a sky background is allowed too. Other than that, adding photographic elements (like cut out characters or vegetation) or doing paintovers or photobashing is not allowed.
The main goal of restricting the post processing is to make sure that we only receive 3d entries rather than simple 3d scenes with massive overpainting and photographic elements.
The topic for this challenge is “Fantastic Greenhouse”.
Spring is coming and with it all sorts of plants, fruits and flowers. And what better place to grow them – even when it’s cold outside – than in a fancy greenhouse? Where would you build yours? On a space station millions of light years away? Or as a gigantic interior garden being part of an ancient Victorian manor? Or something wholly different? Surprise us with your crazy, daring, amazing, fantastic greenhouse designs!
Please make sure to read and follow these rules carefully, to ensure that your final entry is eligible for the judging process.
- Your entry must relate to the challenge’s theme (we encourage you to be very creative with that)
- You can only submit one work
- Your entry must be a new and original creation specifically made for the challenge (no existing projects)
- Your entry must be create by only one person (no group)
- Your entry must be a 3d rendered image (no animations or Sketchfab models)
- You can use any 3d tools, renderers, add-ons and techniques of your choice (still renders taken from a 3d scene inside of a Game Engine is allowed too)
- You can use any visual render style of your choise (like photorealism, NPR, low poly etc.)
- Minimal use of third party assets is allowed, as long as they don’t take up more than ~20% of screen space of your image and are not the main focus of your scene
- 2d or concept art is not allowed (but can be used to plan your final 3d scene)
- No fanart allowed
- Enhancing your rendering in post is allowed – That includes things like color adjustments, compositing render layers/passes and adding effects like smoke, fire, particles etc. Extending your scene with a sky background is allowed too. Other than that, adding photographic elements (like cut out characters or vegetation) or doing paintovers or photobashing is not allowed.
- Imagery & depictions of hate, racism, sexism or other discriminatory factors will additionally be judged based on their context & visual narrative. If the entry is clearly promoting or idealizing a harmful agenda then it will be disqualified.
- You must submit you work before the deadline is over (we won’t accept entries after the deadline!)
Before submitting your entry, make sure that it meets all the following deliverables:
- You have to submit one (1) final render containing a greenhouse and an environment (no multiple shots)
- The final work must be submitted as a rendered image
- Your render should have 1920 pixel on longest edge (landscape format should have 1920 pixels width, portrait format should have 1920 pixels height – any aspect ratio is fine)
- Image size should not exceed 2 MB and should be in *.jpg format
- No Logo / Watermark allowed
- 3D models laid on wallpapers are not allowed
- You have to submit a work-in-progress render of your scene along with your final submission to show the progress of your work
We judge the entries according to these three criteria:
- Visual Appeal
It’s not required to meet all three judging criteria in order to win. You can have great visuals and technical skills without a story or great storytelling with lacking visuals. However, the better you meet all criteria, the bigger your chance to win.
- Create a new 3d rendered image, based on the challenge’s topic
- Make sure that your image meets the demands (read more above)
- Use this submission form to submit your entry before the deadline is over – The challenge ends on Wednesday May 22nd, 2019 at 23:59 CET and the winners will be announced on Wednesday May 29th, 2019
- Your entry will be published here on the challenge website once it is accepted
- If there is any problem with your entry, we will get back to you
- We will announce the winners on Wednesday May 29th, 2019
- If you don’t want to miss who has won, sign up to our mailing list here.
We will pick three winners for this challenge, which will receive prizes. The prizes will be distributed like this:
- The 1st winner can choose 9 prizes from the list below
- The 2nd winner can choose 8 of the remaining prizes
- The 3rd winner gets the 7 remaining prizes
Click here to see all prizes.
Where do I ask questions about the challenge?
Ask them in the comment section below or use the live chat feature (click on the icon in the bottom right corner of this page).
Can I submit multiple submissions for a challenge?
No. You can only submit one (1) submission per challenge.
Can I submit an artwork I started before the challenge?
No. Your entry must be a new creation specially made for the challenge.
Can I create fanart or use a concept art of another artist?
No. Your entry must be an original creation created by you. We can’t accept copyrighted or patented content for legal reasons. Designers of fashion, games, movies and other media do protect their brand and people who breach these rules will be disqualified. Homage or recognizable styles fall outside these rules, but do linger in a gray area. Keep this in mind when designing your entry.
Can a team participate in the challenge?
No. This challenge is for individuals only.
Can I use photographic elements, photobashing or paintovers techniques?
No, but you are allowed to enhance your image with color and brightness adjustments or adding effects like smoke, fire, particles etc.
Can I use third party assets?
Yes, but in a way to support your scene. The external assets can’t be the main focus of your scene and take up more than ~20% screen space of your image.
Can I update my submission during the challenge if I notice a mistake?
Yes, just re-submit your work, and we will replace it. Please add a quick note on what you have changed. The only condition – you cannot change the idea of the work, or modify it drastically. Only reasonable changes are allowed.
Can I share my artwork online before the challenge is over?
Yes, it is your artwork, you can do whatever you want.
Never miss a challenge again!
Sign up and keep up-to-date with our challenges.
These prizes are provided by our awesome sponsors
Read above how these prizes will be distributed
Friendly Shade Bundles
Cycles Material Vault
The Grove 3D
Mastering Sculpting Course
Master Car Creation Course
Hard Surface Modeling Course
Space VFX Elements Course
KIT OPS PRO Add-on
Join our Community of Aspiring CG Artists
Our Facebook community is an awesome place to give and receive feedback and help from other artists.
Join our CG Boost Google Calendar
Add our CG Boost Challenge calendar to your own calendar app and never miss a challenge again.
Never miss a challenge again!
Sign up and keep up-to-date with our challenges.